This conference discussed the following:
- How are Japan’s international priorities developing after a year under the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) government?
- Does Japan want to engage or contain China?
- Does it want to cling to or break from the US?
- Does it want to open up its economy to foreign investment and its society to immigration?
- How does Japan see its role and responsibilities in the international community?
- How can Japan best contribute to shared challenges such as global economic security, climate change, peacekeeping, development, and reform of international institutions?
- Where can Western democracies and regional actors gain value in working more closely with Japan?