With the upcoming 2012 NPT PrepCom kicking off the 2015 NPT review process, this timely conference assessed the state of the nuclear non-proliferation regime and identified what the 2010 NPT Action Plan can offer African states. The role of African states in the 2015 NPT review process and the wider nuclear non-proliferation regime, including nuclear industry was also discussed.
The conference asked questions on the objectives below:
- Gauge the state of the global nuclear non-proliferation regime and identify the priorities of African states within the regime
- Assess how African security and development priorities align with global non-proliferation objectives
- Evaluate to what extent the role of African states can be enhanced in the NPT review process and in the broader nuclear non-proliferation regime, and how to best implement this enhanced role
- Identify the disarmament and non-proliferation education needs of African states
- Assess how to most effectively operationalize the Pelindaba Treaty
- Discuss whether regional lessons of disarmament and non-proliferation cases are applicable to Africa