The purpose of this dialogue is to enable a high level, practical but informal debate, addressing conceptual and practical issues arising from the intersections of accountability, independence, objectivity and the critical voice of evaluation. The event will bring together leading evaluation specialists and a select group of experts who can bring experience and expertise from outside the development evaluation community to discuss:
- The relationship between independence, objectivity, impartiality and authority;
- Separation of attestation and advisory roles;
- Evidence based policy making or policy based evidence making;
- The relationship between evaluators’ independent voices and obligations for stakeholder engagement and empowerment; and
- The role of evaluation within overall organisational governance designs that cater to learning and innovation as well as checks and balance and restraints on authority.
More information on the focus of the event can be found in the Event outline below.