This is the 12th annual meeting in Wilton Park’s International Futures series. It will explore the future of global challenges ranging from security and conflict to trade and governance. Technology, demographic shifts, economic trends, pressures on the multilateral system and the rise of China and other emerging powers are among the drivers of change in the international system. While the need for collaborative solutions is compelling, the obstacles to achieving them can appear formidable.
The meeting aims to:
- Challenge senior level officials to consider alternative international mid and long term perspectives
- Provide insights into how different countries, organisations and actors plan for the future
- Test the possibility of reaching a common understanding of long term trends and their implications for policy formulation and practical application
- Improve clarity of understanding around the major risks and opportunities across a range of policy areas
- Develop and deepen relationships with international partners, strengthening and consolidating the emerging networks of ‘futurists’