This conference discussed the following points:
- Recent outbreaks of avian influenza H5N1 in South East Asia and Eastern Europe and the fear of a pending pandemic are a call for collective international collaboration and action. What more can be done to encourage all countries to share surveillance data in a timely fashion?
- How can co-operation between the health and veterinary sectors be improved?
- What are the optimum minimum systems that can be put in place to strengthen the capacity of public health systems in Asia. How quickly can surveillance and response capacity be strengthened and at what cost?
- How are donor funds being allocated and used?
- Where should antiviral stockpiles be situated and how distributed?
- What access can be given to vaccines in those countries without manufacturing capability?