This conference discussed the following points:
- What are the main factors fuelling the insurgency in Afghanistan, and how can reconstruction and development programs address these?
- What role does aid play in promoting stability and/or instability in Afghanistan?
- How effective is aid in winning hearts and minds?
- How can the effectiveness of development assistance in promoting stabilisation objectives be measured?
- What are some of the historical lessons from Afghanistan, as well as comparative experience from other COIN contexts, regarding the effectiveness of aid in promoting stability?
- What are the implications and recommendations for development and COIN policies of the research findings and field experience?