This conference discussed the following points:
- What security threats will the world be dealing with in 20 years time?
- What is the role and utility of nuclear weapons in facing this new security environment?
- Who are the nuclear weapons to deter, what kind of targets would they aim at, and what levels of capability are appropriate?
- Do they support or undermine strategic priorities of the Atlantic Alliance?
- What kind of independence is appropriate for smaller nuclear powers?
- Will there be further nuclear arms reductions and disarmament or new arms races?
- What are the conditions for the abolition of nuclear weapons?
- Would the world be a safer and better place with or without a nuclear deterrence?