This conference discussed the following points:
- What is the best strategy in counter-insurgency (COIN) operations?
- What lessons can be learned from recent operations?
- How well are democratic governments managing to prevail? What planning is needed for the complexity, uncertainty and risk of COIN operations?
- To what extent is ‘intelligence’ the main problem?
- How can long term security and rule of law be best built when also addressing insurgency?
- What is the right balance between effective operations and protection of human rights and the rule of law?
- How can violence be ended through political engagement?