This conference discussed the following points:
- What is the potential for using community-based, “bottom-up” approaches in countering terrorism in the EU and north America?
- To what extent are terrorists integrated into their local community?
- What are the contact points for terrorists and the local community; family, mosques?
- What can be done within communities to counter radicalisation and prevent individuals turning towards terrorism?
- How can policies be operationalised at national and local levels?
- What are the implications for authorities’ relations with local communities?
- What are the challenges for policing in countering terrorism?