This conference discussed the following points:
- Capacity-building in societies
- Early warning
- Preventive diplomacy and mediation
- Co-ordination and joint missions
- Developing protection doctrine
- How can the UN and Member States build capacity in regional and sub-regional mechanisms?
- How can the UN strengthen its own capacity to engage with regional and sub-regional partners?
- How does the UN work most effectively with regional mechanisms?
- What is the added value of regional and sub-regional partners?
- What are the key UN bodies that need to engage, and how should their engagement differ?
- At what stage of a situation of crisis should the UN become involved, and how should this be determined: How can such engagement by the UN with regional and sub-regional bodies be effectively institutionalised within the organisation?