This conference discussed the following points:
- What are Moldova’s key political, economic and international goals?
- Moldova is heading for general elections in March 2009 – European integration and a viable resolution of the Transnistria conflict are key issues for the future of Moldova. How should the EU structure its work to maximise positive impacts on democratic reforms in the country?
- What is the potential role of other stakeholder countries such as the Russian Federation and Ukraine along with the US, EU and international organisations (OSCE) in solving one of Europe’s frozen conflicts?
- How should Moldova develop regional co-operation with its EU neighbours and CIS partners?
- What is the future contractual relationship between the EU and Moldova?
- Does Europe know and care for Moldova or is it a ‘swing state’ between east and west?
- How to promote good governance and encourage civil society?
- How to direct economic growth to achieve business potential and enhance social development?’