This conference discussed the following points:
- Evaluate the current state of the effort to promote political freedom and to deepen democracy;
- Examine three key issues:
- What can and should be done to promote political freedom in countries where it is severely limited or does not exist at all?
- How can the promotion of political freedom ensure the delivery of real economic and social improvement in the lives of citizens?
- What needs to be done where political freedom has been established but where democracy now needs to be deepened?
- Assess the future directions the drive for political freedom and democracy should take.