This conference discussed the following points:
- Will an economic downturn cause an upsurge in organised crime?
- What are the emerging trends and how to get ahead of the criminals?
- Where are the specific vulnerabilities and do these differ between North America and Europe?
- Is there a risk of parallel criminal economies emerging?
- In what ways can cross-border co-operation on intelligence gathering, investigations and prosecutions be enhanced?
- How are criminal gangs organised?
- Are there cross-cutting links between different modalities of crime and their detection?
- What is the role of the Internet in the perpetration of crime and as a tool of detection?
- How far can European countries limit the spread of organised crime against a backdrop of the global economic crisis?