This conference discussed the following points:
- What are the special challenges and opportunities of the region, located at the crossroads between the East and the West?
- What has been learnt from fifteen years of independence?
- Which economic policies by Governments, business and international financial institutions are needed to encourage growth, investment and good governance?
- How can policies on issues including economic integration, energy and transport help to build a new region in an evolving neighbourhood?
- How can confidence-building measures and open borders contribute to better understanding?
- What is the path to European integration in a region without conflicts?