What we do matters
At Wilton Park, we bring people together from around the world to help them solve some of the most complex global challenges.
We deliver excellence in all that we do. We’re passionate, dedicated and take pride in our work. We deal with the world as it is, embracing change and navigating complexity. Working at Wilton Park is challenging but rewarding. We welcome thousands of guests through our doors each year and run over 60 events annually. We’re resilient and we’re determined, because what we do, matters. We’re proud of the impact that we have and the legacy that we leave.
We’re a team that delivers
As an organisation that works to support UK foreign and development policy, we want to reflect the world that we work in. Rooted in our local community and connected to the world, we value diversity and difference. We know that everyone has something to offer and the potential to grow. We need people from all sorts of backgrounds and with all kinds of skills to help us build a team that delivers.
We are looking for a motivated and energetic Apprentice Chef to join our kitchen team. The Apprentice will work on-site at our home at Wiston House, Steyning.
This Production Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship will work on-site at our Steyning location as part of an established kitchen under an award-winning chef. This is s a vibrant, exciting, and diverse opportunity in a nurturing environment surrounded by an experienced and supportive team. Excellent chance to learn with agreeable shifts with no late nights and only very occasional weekend working.
To work as part of a team of chefs at Wilton Park, providing a full range of meals for guests attending events, including:
- Preparation, cooking and serving of food for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon teas, buffets, banqueting dinners and BBQs
- Taking consideration for guests’ special dietary requirements, including religious diets, allergens, food intolerance diets,
- Monitor the temperature, quality and portion size of all food served from the kitchen areas
- Ensure that all food leaving the kitchen is prepared and served to the pre-agreed consistent high standards
- Ensure the effective control of refrigeration and dry store goods to ensure food safety and reduce waste
- Comply with local health and safety requirements
- Carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time
- Has a passion for food
- Reliable and punctual
- Good personal hygiene
- Able to follow instructions
- Practical by nature
- Good team player
- Good communication skills
- Remains calm under pressure
- GCSE in Maths and English or equivalent Grade 9-4 (A*-C) desirable
- Food Hygiene Certificate desirable – training can be provided if this is not already in place
Training and qualifications at the end of apprenticeship
- Production Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship (GCSE)
- On the job training provided by employer and team members
- Full study package available. Working in conjunction day release with Chichester College
- 15 month Apprenticeship Standard
Mandatory – 20% off the job training
Apprentices are allocated a Tutor, who visits the apprentice in the workplace every four weeks.
The apprenticeship is made up of the following:
- Standard (Level 2) – this is where the apprentice demonstrates they have the knowledge, behaviours and skills to meet the criteria of the standard.
- Functional Skills – if required, are delivered at the college and are made up of English (Reading, Writing, and Speaking & Listening) and Maths.
- Assessment of this qualification will be by an “Synoptic End Point Assessment” and will be graded
What is expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We have a lot of long serving team and support individuals in progression and upskilling.
We work hard to retain and respect our employees by looking at new ways to invest and reward, offer benefits and promotion within an engaging and diverse environment.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to further their career progression at Wilton Park
Things to consider
- Own transport is essential – Wiston House is not easily accessible by bus or rail services.
- As Wilton Park is an Executive Agency of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), the successful candidate will need to complete the standard government baseline security questionnaire.
- Successful completion and approval will be needed to confirm acceptance of post in line
- Please note that the kitchens at Wilton Park are on 3 different floor levels (kitchen, stores and freezers) and there is no lift as 16th century building
Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage (ANMW)
I’m under 19 (or in the first year of an apprenticeship)
If you are under 19 (or over 19 but in the first year of an apprenticeship) you are entitled to the national minimum wage for apprentices – £5.28. This means your first year apprentice wage must be equal at least £5.28 (per hour) in order to comply with the law.
I’m aged 19 (or older) and on the second year (or more) of my apprenticeship
After a year, your situation might change. Once you are 19 or older and in the second year of your apprenticeship your pay switches over to now be governed by the national minimum wage.
Job Types: Full-time, Apprenticeship
Salary: From £17,316.00 per year
Schedule: day shift, weekend availability
Work location: in person
Reference ID: Apprentice Chef
Closing date Thursday 30 November 2023.
Interviews will take place week commencing 4 December 2023.